Des Moines is notable in lots of ways...here are a few facts that make Des Moines unique!
- Des Moines was founded in 1843 and incorporated as a city in 1851
- The original name of Des Moines was Fort Raccoon, and was later changed to Fort Des Moines, then shortened to the current 'Des Moines'
- The origin of the name Des Moines, is disputed. Some historians think it came from the Moingonia Indian phrase meaning "river of the mounds" Others place the origin of the name to trappist French Monks who once lived along the river
- Des Moines was originally founded on the confluence of the banks of the Raccoon and Des Moines Rivers as a military outpost
- Des Moines was chosen as the location as the capital of Iowa in 1857
- Des Moines has been dubbed the 3rd largest insurance capital of the world, after London, England and Hartford, Connecticut
- More than 75,000 workers are employed in downtown Des Moines, one of the highest rates per capita in North America.
- With over 3 miles of skywalks, Downtown Des Moines has the 2nd most miles of skywalk per capita in North America, after Calgary, Alberta Canada
- The 23K gold-plated dome on the Iowa State Capitol is the largest gold dome in North America
- Today, Des Moines is the financial, government and business hub of Iowa
Last Updated on Friday, 06 February 2009 09:31